Version 2 / 2min read / Updated Mon 02 Nov 2020 / 722 views
The heart rate (pulse) is affected by the amount of blood lost and medications.
- Low: 45 and below
- Normal: between 46 and 119
- High: 120 and above
A normal heartrate is around 80 in a healthy soldier.
A patient will enter cardiac arrest when:
- The heart rate is below 20.
- The heart rate is above 200.
- The systolic blood pressure is above 260.
- The diastolic blood pressure is below 40 and the heart rate is above 190.
- The systolic blood pressure is above 145 and the heart rate is above 150.
There are five states of blood loss and any medic should be able to differentiate between them and apply IVs based on how much blood is needed.
|no blood loss||0||0%|
|lost some blood||0 - 1 litre||0 - 15%|
|lost a lot of blood||1 - 2 litres||15 - 30%|
|lost a large amount of blood||2 - 2.5 litres||30 - 40%|
|lost a fatal amount of blood||2.5 - 6 litres||40 - 100%|
Losing a fatal amount of blood is not unrecoverable in our system. So long as the blood loss is stopped as soon as possible. More information about this can be found in "Medical System Philosophy".
Blood, besides heartrate is the most important vital. CPR will have no effect if blood loss is fatal (more than 40%) as the patient will slip into cardiac arrest again after a few seconds. Regaining consciousness is impossible/very unlikely without at least "Lost some blood" (less than 15% blood loss) status as well.
UNITAF Standard Operating procedures (SOP) are adapted primarly from US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC). Our written and audio procedures are a combination of the following primary source materials, as well as our own learnings, modifications and adaptations:
- US Army Techniques Publication, Infantry Platoon and Squad (ATP 3-21.8)
- Soldier’s Manual of Common Tasks Warrior Leader Skills Level 2, 3, and 4 (STP 21-24-SMCT)
- The Warrior Ethos and Soldier Combat Skills (FM 3-21.75 / FM 21-75)
- Leadership Development (FM 6-22)
- Dyslexi's Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures for Arma 3 (TTP3)