Version 1 / 2min read / Updated Tue 25 Feb 2020 / 338 views
Casualty Triage is the categorization of casualties for the priority of treatment and evacuation. Triage is a continuing process and the individual assigned should be the most senior medical person present.
- It does not matter if the casualties are friendly, civiliian or enemy, all are dealt with in the same manner
- Return personnel to duty as soon as possible
- In case of many casualties in the same category (e.g. immediate) prioritise medics and leaders.
- When communicating or talking about casualties, refer to them only as their triage category, especially when reporting them or requesting assistance
- It's important to communcate any change in casualty category also.
"We have 3 IMMEDIATE casulties"
"Bravo has one DELAYED one MINIMAL"
As a general rule, anyone whom is unconcious and bleeding should be categorised as IMMEDIATE and then proceed to re-categorise as below as things change.
MINIMAL (GREEN TAG)
- The patient is walking
- These individuals have injuries that will still need treatment, however, are unlikely to deteriorate.
- This includes those with relatively minor injuries who can effectively care for themselves or can be helped by untrained personnel.
DELAYED (YELLOW TAG)
- Has lost SOME or A LOT of blood AND is not bleeding
- Note: Tourniqueted limbs do not count as bleeding
- The patient is still unresponsive or unconcious
- They are not expected to significantly deteriorate and therefore can safely wait until the immediate category of patients has been stabilized.
IMMEDIATE (RED TAG)
- Has lost a LARGE or FATAL amount of blood and/or is bleeding
- If immediate medical attention is not provided, the patient will die.
DECEASED (BLACK TAG)
- The patient has died or is expected to die and no positive action could or can be taken.
UNITAF Standard Operating Proceedure (SOP) is adapted from two primary source materials - in addition to our own experience and past learnings:
US Army Techniques Publication, Infantry Platoon and Squad (ATP 3-21.8) ->view online
Dyslexi's Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures for Arma 3 (TTP3) -> view online